Thursday, March 23, 2006

Normal service will be resumed

as soon as I'm back from my birding & eclipse-watching holiday. Look! These are the details, the terrifying details, of the massive hotel where we'll be staying. Quite apart from my extreme guilt (staying in a hotel complex built on the ruins of a fragile Mediterranean coastal ecosystem) I am a little scared; perhaps all these things are mandatory:
Sea, garden, mountain, city views are available. Split air condition and heating, garden, tv corner, game room, internet connection, business center, hairdresser, laundry, ironing, dry cleaning, market, gift shop, leather shop, jewellery store, power generator, doctor on demand, baby sitter, parking without fee. Direct dial telephone, minibar, safe box, tea/coffee machine, pay tv, satellite tv, split air condition, jacuzzi, Refrigerator. Outdoor swimming pool, indoor swimming pool, children's swimming pool, children section, heated swimming pool, aquapark, Turkish bath, sauna, massage, jacuzzi, solarium, health & beauty center, SPA, fitness center, aerobics, table tennis, billiards, animation programs, tennis, football, mini football, beach volley, cycling, jogging, children's playground, diving school, parasailing, banana, jet ski, canoe, wind surf, sailing, extreme sports. 1 meeting room (100 max. capacity). Overhead projector, screen, whiteboard, slide projector, flipchart, projector, barcovision, sound system, microphone, video player, DVD player, television, fax, air conditioning, light system. Shuttle bus with fee, private beach. Breakfast lounge, lobby bar, snack bar, pool bar, beach bar, terrace bar, restaurant bar. 1 open buffet indoor restaurant (960 pax). International Cuisine, Ottoman Cuisine, Turkish Cuisine, Italian Cuisine, Mexican Cuisine, vegetarian cuisine.
Wow. All my astrophysics buddies are bringing their GPSs. I feel I'm letting the side down. I don't own one. I am ashamed. How will I know, to the nearest centimetre, where I am, at any given point?

"With three GPSs and about eight degrees between us, we're not likely to get lost" wrote one travelling companion. Ha. I bet we do: I bet my next post will be from a PC terminal in the British Embassy in Syria.

See you all soon,
pluvialis x

No comments: